Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jaygray

Is This a Safe Opencore Dual Boot Setup?

I have Catalina partially up and running on one SSD.  I have a separate SSD with Win10.  My mobo UEFI has Windows as the first boot option.  If I do nothing, it goes straight to Windows.  

As for Catalina, at startup, F10 gets me to an easy boot menu, from there I select the MacOS SSD.  Opencore picker opens.  If I select Catalina, I'm good to go.

(I don't really care about this, but Opencore picker has an option to boot the Windows EFI.  If I select it, Windows crashes before opening, but since Windows is the default boot option laready, I have no desire to use Opencore to get to Windows.)

(On another side note, if I put Opencore/Catalina as the default boot drive, and use the F10 boot menu to try and open Windows, Windows crashes at startup.  My setup only works with Windows as the default boot drive.)

This brings me to my real question.  I am concerned that both SSDs use boot options with EFI files that are identically named.  Could a Windows update accidentally write over the MacOS EFI instead of writing to the EFI on the Windows SSD?  Or am I worrying about a non-issue?

I'm a complete noob at this, so I'm just looking for the simplest method that won't self destruct on me...