Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
  • Donation Goals

Monthly Donation - May

Hackintosh Shop was made possible by using your donations & displaying ads which covers the running cost.

Donate with BitCoins

Thanks

20%
    $20.00 of $100.00 Donate Now
Vyzantion

Acer and Intel i3 overview and update failure

After many struggles, the Hackintosh Shop edition of Big Sur allowed me to install this OS I have been trying since November, when I bought a new system. Unfortunately, I do not know the exact specs of it, it is refurbished hardware from a shop I have always used to get hardware. The motherboard is Acer and has a CPU socket compatible with Intel i3, i5 and i7, uses on-board graphics, and that is about all I know about it. I could not find the ID in the UEFI menu and the I can not get its ID without removing it from the PC shell, a thing that I would not like to attempt, since the hardware has some limited warranty yet.

The first issue was that the machine had the ethernet port broken and not wifi or bluetooth hardware. Catalina failed with any kext. I have installed Windows on it, even Windows did not see the ethernet hardware. So, I got an external ethernet adapter, to be placed in an USB port. Windows was able to connect, it tried to download the missing driver for the on-board ethernet port, but failed. I had put it aside for a while, until I have discovered that, on this community, a version for Big Sur was made available. I knew Hackintosh Zone was dead, but this seemed to be its successor, and the Niresh edition of Yosemite was my first real success with Hackintoshing. Anyways, I have managed to install and get Big Sur going on this hardware, with the external ethernet adapter. The on-board graphics does not support metal, so it runs without hardware acceleration. But that is totally fine for me, I do not need it at all, for what I run in macOS. I have managed to get sound working a few days after the first installation succes.

There are still there main issues, all of them regarding updating:

1) I could not update Clover properly, using the official Clover app. It refused to install the Clover update. Updating Clover and Virtual SMC are important, since any future macOS update may brake the installation, without Clover and Virtual SMC. I am not familiar with OpenCore yet, I know many recommend it over Clover.

2) Gatekeeper seems un-updated, so far, although XProtect and MRT got updated. These are security functions that I would like all of them to work properly.

3) The update to 11.1 failed to install. I was able to download it but, after or during the install of it, on boot, the system gets stuck at „disk 4 is not writable” or something like that. SIP is disabled, so I can not make sense of it. Is Big Sur in this form updatable? Is there something I need to enable/disable, some boot arg? Perhaps my TP Link external ethernet adapter messing out into disk listing or something?

Last, but not least, is there a new dmg on the way, with 11.1 or with 11.2 (since 11.2 update seems close)?

This thread will be update, Please quote me in 3 Days.

On 1/23/2021 at 7:01 AM, Hackintosh Shop said:

3 days have past. So, I am quoting you. Any news?

On 1/23/2021 at 7:01 AM, Hackintosh Shop said:

Hackintosh Shop releases depend on Apple publishing the sources on Apple Open Source? macOS 11.1 is not listed there yet.

Today a new build of Clover was released. I have managed to get it installed. One thing changed: in the boot menu, now the recovery partition is visible, as an option. Previously was not. Yet, I do not venture to install the 11.1 update without at least some advice from the administrator of the forum.

Silent Knight reports the SIV is disabled, but SSV is not. Perhaps this what causes the issue at update?

Tired running the command to disable SSV, after booting the Recovery partition: csrutil authenticated-root disable . Several times. It does not work. 

Hi, 

Please update clover before updating Mac.

Download Clover 5129

Mount EFI Partition with Clover Configurator

Open ISO file.

Replace both two files from ISO to EFI Partition

• /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi
  • /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi

Restart computer and try again updating Big Sur to 11.1

On 1/22/2021 at 11:01 PM, Vyzantion said:

Gatekeeper seems un-updated

This could be due to NVRAM Variables not functioning or RTVariables are configured to disable apple protection.

Open Config.plist with Clover Configurator and Check RT Variable Section.

The Values of BooterConfig and CsrActiveConfig must be remove, Make a note of both current values and remove them restart, Check if Gatekeeper works, Also Clear NVRAM by pressing F11 in Clover Menu. 

9 hours ago, Hackintosh Shop said:

Hi, 

Please update clover before updating Mac.

Download Clover 5129

Mount EFI Partition with Clover Configurator

Open ISO file.

Replace both two files from ISO to EFI Partition

• /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi
  • /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi

Restart computer and try again updating Big Sur to 11.1

Clover is already updated to 5129, on the installed OS. I need to download the iso of Clover 5129 and replace the files indicated from the iso to the installed Clover 5129? Did I got it right?

Edited by Vyzantion

Tried installing 11.1, I did all you said. It failed in the same way, a disk was listed as locked. Even the Recovery Partition got stuck into the same error, the a disk is blocked for write. Tried to boot with -s argument, the Recovery Partition failed, but the main installation was able to finish boot into -s mode, without GUI, with a warning that the root partition is read only. SSV was still enabled.

I have reinstalled 11.01 and updated Clover. On Clover app was an option ”Make filesystem read-write”. Perhaps this is the key?