Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
  • Donation Goals

Hackintosh Monthly Donation - April

Hackintosh Shop was made possible by using your donations & displaying ads which covers the running cost.

Donate with BitCoins

Thanks

5%
    $5.00 of $100.00 Donate Now
hoongs

Big Sur installer grey screen

I have finally managed to load past verbose using Haswell Clover EFI (no luck with OC) and went into a grey screen with movable cursor. Waited almost 15 minutes but nothing happens. I am planning to install on a test partition before upgrading from Niresh Catalina. Please help.

Posted (edited)
On 12/30/2020 at 2:03 AM, Hackintosher said:

Please post full hardware details, Were there any errors during verbose boot?

After doing some digging and trying, I managed to get the installer to run by adding a blank data for prev-lang:kbd in my emulated nvram plist.

Finally managed to run the installer but gotten "The Installation failed" error.

I'm dual booting Niresh Catalina (daily driver) and the current big sur release, once it's stable I will use big sur as the daily driver instead.

Edited by hoongs

You got "The Installation failed" error, with Big Sur?

Is the target partition is GUID?

23 hours ago, Hackintosher said:

You got "The Installation failed" error, with Big Sur?

Is the target partition is GUID?

Yes after around 10 minutes of the installation process it will stop with this error. I am installing on a 2nd partition within the same SSD with Catalina (1st partition). The SSD is already formatted as macOS Extended (Journaled) + GUID Partition Map. The 2nd partition was formatted with APFS.

Is it impossible to install Big Sur on a 2nd partition to dual boot with Catalina?

Additional info: the only way I am able to dual boot is swapping 2 USB thumbdrives with different versions of Clover EFI. One that comes with the Big Sur installer and another came with Catalina installer.

Does your EFI Partition has enough space, Why couldn't you boot from Hard disk?

23 minutes ago, Hackintosher said:

Does your EFI Partition has enough space, Why couldn't you boot from Hard disk?

I skipped the bootloader installation part as my mobo UEFI can't seem to recognize my EFI bootloader on the same SSD anymore. I have been booting Catalina with a USB drive for the past year. I have tried using Clover UEFI Shell and bcfg to fix this problem but my mobo can't seem to recognize the name anymore. Boot selection will display a blank space rather than the name given to the EFI partition of my SSD.

So I'm thinking of doing the same thing with Big Sur as well.

On 1/8/2021 at 5:01 AM, Hackintosher said:

Could you save and attach the Installer log of Big Sur Crash?

Can you provide more details on where I am able to retrieve this log?